If possible the next of kin should attend at the registrar’s office. Failing this, another close relative or the executor is usually acceptable. A death is registered at the sub-district in which the death occurs. The local Register offices and hours are listed below. If you are in any doubt as to which Registrar to visit, please do not hesitate to telephone our office.
THE REGISTRAR WILL REQUIRE:
- Doctor’s or Coroner’s certificate of death.
- Deceased medical card – if available.
- Details of any pension paid by the Paymaster General i.e. Dockyard or Service.
AND THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
- Deceased’s full name.
- Date and place of birth.
- Usual residence.
- Last full-time occupation.
- Any surviving partner’s date of birth.
AND, IF THE DECEASED WAS A LADY:
- Her maiden name.
- Full name of her husband/father.
- Her occupation.
THE REGISTRAR WILL ISSUE:
- Green certificate for Funeral Director.
- White certificate for D.W.P.
- And for a small charge will issue further certified copies of the death certificate for solicitors, banks, insurances, building societies, premium bonds etc.
Plymouth Lockyer Street, Plymouth, (01752) 268331
By Appointment Mon, Wed, Thur 9.00am – 5.00pm
Tues, 9.00am – 6.00pm, Fri 9.00am – 4.30pm.
Totnes Follaton House, Totnes, 0845 1551002
By Appointment Mon, Tues, Fri 9.00am – 4.30pm
Wed & Thur 9.00am 1.00pm.
Tavistock – West Devon Registration Office
West Devon Borough Council Offices, Kilworthy Park, Tavistock PL19 0BZ 0845 1551002.
By Appointment Mon, Tues, Wed and Fri 9.30am – 4.00pm
Thursday registration to be held at Okehampton
Register Town Council Offices, Fore Street, Okehampton EX20 1AA 0845 1551002
Cornwall Registration Service
For an appointment please telephone 0300 1234 181 between 8.00am – 6.00pm Mon to Fri and 9.00am – 4.00pm Sat.
Liskeard Graylands, Dean Street PL14 4AH
Mon, Tues, Wed 9.30am – 2.30pm
Thur – Closed, Fri – 9.30am – 2.30pm
Saltash, Plougastel Drive, PL12 6DL Mon, Tues – 10.00am – 2.00pm
Wed – Closed, Thur 10.00am – 2.00pm Fri – 9.00am – 2.00pm
Newton Abbot – Old Forde House, Brunel Road, Newton Abbot, Devon TQ12 4XX. 0845 1551002
By Appointment – Mon – Fri 9.00 – 1.00 / 2.00 – 4.00
Torbay – Room 15 Paignton Library and information Centre, Great Western Road , Paignton
(01803) 207130. By Appointment – Mon – Fri 9.30 – 4.30
Exeter – The Civic Centre, Paris Street, Exeter EX1 1JN. 0845 1551002.
By Appointment – Mon – Fri 9.00 – 4.30